The Story

Six Firemen Die In Fire At Jail

Horror-filled moments were to come in the early morning hours of unlucky April 13, 1910 – the fire in the chair shop at the New Haven Jail, a blaze that melted the bars in the jail and brought death to six firemen and injury to dozens others.

See more pictures of the horrible New Haven County Jail Fire by clicking this link.

Box 63, named after the notorious fire call box number 63 pulled on that tragic morning calling into service the brave men of Engine House no 3 to fight what would become the most devastating blaze in NHFD history.

Our property served as a fire station for over 100 years and our project to re-establish this great location as an American Restaurant & Bar started on April 13 marking the 101 anniversary of the great fire of 1910. We felt strongly that the memories of the past be carried forward with the restaurant and arrived at the name Box 63.


Connect With Us